One of the most important decisions you can make on your first London trip is choosing where to stay. London is a huge city and you’ll hear advice from everyone on the best areas and hotels and Airbnbs/vacation rentals where they believe you should stay.
After living in London and visiting many times, I’ve gotten to know the different parts of the city and have my own thoughts. On this page, you’ll find all my advice in one place.
The Best Areas to Stay in London
London is generally divided into five areas: Central, North, South, East, and West.
On the map images at the right, you can click each one to see a specific guide to the best areas to stay in that part of London – and also some parts of that area that aren’t as good to stay.
If that seems overwhelming, never fear. I put together a guide of the best places across the city – the best 2 or 3 areas in each part of London to stay.
(Think of it as the “Greatest Hits” from the rest of the series.)
No matter where you choose, London has tons of great accommodation options.
Other Tips on London Accommodations
If you need other advice on choosing accommodations, I have written other posts too – both round-ups and hotel reviews. You can find them all below:
- The Hoxton Shoreditch (Hotel Review)
- 7 Beautiful, Budget-Friendly London Airbnbs
- Where to Stay in Central London:
The 9 Best Neighborhoods (& 2 to Skip!)
- Where to Stay in West London:
The 9 Best Neighborhoods (& 4 to Skip!)
- The 6 Best Cheap Hotels near London King’s Cross Station
- The 10 Best London Houseboats on Airbnb & Other Vacation Rental Sites
- The 9 Best Cheap Hotels Near London Waterloo Station
- The 8 Best Cheap Hotels Near London Victoria Station
- The 33 Best London Pubs with Rooms (2022)
- The 7 Best Cheap Hotels Near London Euston Station
- 9 Perfect London Hotels with Birthday Packages
- 15 London Hotels Near Her Majesty’s Theatre within a 7-minute Walk
- 9 London Hotels with Balcony Views (Not Penthouses)
- 17 London Hotels with the Best Views
- The 11 Best Areas to Stay in London (& 5 Other Great Ones)
- The 13 Best Hotels Along the River Thames (2022)
- The 9 Best Pet-Friendly Airbnbs in London (& VRBOs too)
- The 25 Best Hostels in London for Budget-Conscious Travelers (2022)
- 23 Splurge-Worthy Stays & Luxury Penthouses in London
- 8 Delightful London Cottages Where You Can Stay