Nestled in the heart of London’s chic Chelsea, Sloane Square boasts more than just its famed boutiques and stylish residents. It’s home to some of the capital’s coziest and most delightful coffee shops and cafes, exuding an ambiance that’s uniquely London.
There’s something about the London coffee scene that is both invigorating and intimate; a place where baristas know your name and every sip feels like a warm embrace from the city itself. Whether you’re people-watching from a window seat or tucked away in a corner with a good book, the best cafes and coffee shops in Sloane Square promise an experience worth savoring.
So, as you plan your London adventure, make sure to set aside time for a coffee break (or two!) in this charming enclave. After all, to truly know London, you must know its cafes. Cheers to caffeinating up for your adventures in the heart of Chelsea.
Editor’s Note: Looking for something different one year, my partner and I stayed in Sloane Square on the edge of Belgravia. If you want to spend time in a delightful part of West London where you’ll feel like you’re really living local, this is a great area! – Valerie
The Best Cafes & Coffee Shops in Sloane Square – Ranked!
There are a lot of lists of the “best” cafes and coffee shops in Sloane Square out there, and most of them have some sort of black box way of deciding what to include and in what order. I prefer to be transparent in how I rank the things I recommend on this site, so below you’ll find a table with scores for each cafe and coffee shop; here’s how I came up with those numbers:
- I selected only those coffee shops and cafes that are located within the generally agreed bounds of the Sloane Square area (13 in all)
- I ranked all of the cafes/coffee shops by rating and number of reviews on Google reviews
- I then combined those scores with the proportion of reviews each coffee shop/cafe received to come up with a score (out of 5) for each cafe or coffee shop
- I ranked the coffee shops and cafes by score, and broke ties by the number of reviews (at the time of reviewing the data)
Also, I included only cafes and coffee shops with a rating of 4.0 or higher, to ensure I was only including those coffee shops and cafes which are truly good. I additionally didn’t include international chains like Pret a Manger or Costa Coffee – not because they aren’t good, but instead to better represent the independent coffee shop and cafe options. (Shop and buy local!)
Given all that, here are the best coffee shops and cafes in Sloane Square:
|Cafe/Coffee Shop Name||Reviews||Score|
|3||Party At Pavilion||325+||4.05|
|4||The Black Penny||300+||4.05|
|5||Buns From Home||125+||4.02|
Below, you’ll find more about each of these top 5 Sloane Square coffee shops and cafes, plus shorter descriptions of the other eight that I reviewed for this post.
Photos courtesy of Colbert via Instagram
A visit to Colbert transports you from London to Paris as you step through the door. This charming little slice of France boasts chic furnishings, a fabulous location; right next door to The Royal Court Theatre, and an impressive collection of art adorning the walls.
As you would expect the menu is made up of delicious, authentic French fare. Choices at breakfast time include Eggs Benedict and savory pancakes, whereas the lunch menu features Croque Monsieur and steak frites. The indoor bar area is elegant and comfortable and the outside terrace provides the ideal spot to sit and watch the Sloane Square world go by!
2. Daylesford Organic
Photos courtesy of Daylesford Organic
Tucked away within the opulent and fashionable area of Sloane Avenue you can, perhaps surprisingly, find an organic farm shop and cafe. Best Cafes & Coffee Shops in Sloane Square – Daylesford Organic Exterior is a bright and airy space that offers a friendly welcome and a fresh and inspiring menu packed with scrumptious offerings from breakfast through to dinner.
As you may have guessed from the name, the dishes are made with organic produce and ingredients. Think artisan breads, lush pasture-raised meats, and seasonal fruits and vegetables. If you only have time for a coffee, it will still be worth the visit with a collection of barista-crafted blends to choose from.
3. Party At Pavilion
Photos courtesy of Party at Pavilion Cafe via Instagram
Established in 2017, the Party at Pavillion Cafe in Sloane Square is proud to have been serving Londoners delectable coffee, ever since. More than deserving of its place on the best cafes in Sloane Square list, it is small in stature but huge in heart. You can be sure of a super friendly welcome at this trendy cafe, which is a fab spot to sit a while and enjoy a warm drink and some homemade baked goods.
On first inspection, it would seem that there is no indoor seating. However, there is an almost hidden staircase that leads to a charming loft which is a delightful sun trap and the ideal place to watch the world go by whilst sipping your Australian blend coffee.
4. The Black Penny
Photos courtesy of The Black Penny via Instagram
Intriguing wall art, superb blends of coffee, and freshly prepared meals throughout the day make The Black Penny a great spot to stop for a while in Sloane Square. The breakfast and brunch menus are packed with hearty favorites, while the evening menu is accompanied by a fabulous cocktail list.
The unique freshly prepared dishes stand out from more regular cafe offerings. The food is more upmarket. For example, the exquisitely roasted chicken thighs with crushed potato, sweet potato, spinach, and tomato parsley onion salad with lemon dressing are in a different league to a greasy bacon butty!
5. Buns From Home
Photos courtesy of Buns From Home via Instagram
Buns From Home in Sloane Square is part of a successful franchise with the most romantic of origin stories – one that both inspires and fascinates. The proprietor started baking in his home during lockdown in 2020. The delicious produce he baked was such a massive hit from the original local delivery outlet (aka his Mum’s kitchen!) that in a short couple of years, the business now comprises five stand-alone shops.
Their Sloane Square outpost is a cute, compact bakery that keeps its daily menu small in order to put 100% passion into the items it offers. Customers absolutely rave about the quality of the food, many quoting they are the best buns in London!
Other Great Coffee Shops & Cafes in Sloane Square
Photos courtesy of Raw Press via Instagram
There are other cafes and coffee shops in Sloane Square too – they are still good, and may be worth visiting depending on your travel plans, where you’re staying, and what brings you to Sloane Square during your London visit.
- Bread Ahead Bakery Pavilion Road – Completely at home in the heart of Chelsea’s artisan food scene, this is a bakery as well as an exclusive baking school. There is ample outdoor seating, so you can settle down with a fabulous cup of coffee and a delightful pastry or sourdough sandwich and watch the Sloane Square world go by.
- Raw Press – Raw Press has an ambition to become one of the best cafes in Sloane Square that is entirely plant-based. They specialize in creating an exciting and inspiring menu that is both healthy and scrumptious. From colorful poke bowls to innovative matcha lattes and much more, this elegant yet welcoming cafe is loved by locals and visitors alike.
- Hagen Belgravia – At Hagen Belgravia, they take coffee breaks very seriously. An enterprise that originated in Copenhagen, this coffee shop prides itself on offering premium specialty blends whilst still focusing on sustainability. With the option to sit, or stand at one of the fashionable high tables, your visit to Hagen Belgravia will result in you thinking about coffee in a slightly different way!
- Chucs Cafe Chelsea – Chucs Cafe Chelsea is an elegant cafe serving an exquisite choice of coffee and a mouth-watering food menu, that focuses on using healthy, seasonal ingredients. One of the best cafes in Sloane Square, for its upmarket setting, chic interior, and delectable offerings.
- Piccolo Bar – Renowned locally for serving excellent quality snacks and light bites for very reasonable prices, the Piccolo Bar also boasts super friendly staff and a laid-back, informal atmosphere.
- Ground by Coco – One of the best coffee shops in Sloane Square, Ground by Coco is a cozy, welcoming spot where you can have organic, specialist coffees and a mouth-watering menu of dishes all made with fresh and seasonal ingredients.
- Nespresso Boutique – You probably recognize the name; Nespresso Boutique is a world-renowned coffee brand. The cafe itself in Sloane Square offers an exciting selection of blends to choose from and you can also browse the espresso makers and other accessories.
- New Horizons Cafe – Located in the heart of the New Horizons Activity Center in Chelsea, this cafe is like home from home. Comfortable, welcoming, and offering a menu packed with wholesome, homemade food and fair trade teas and coffees.
Have any questions about these best cafes and coffee shops in Sloane Square, or which one(s) to visit? Let me know in the comments below!